In the 1940s, Norma Campschrader had a home, a love for animals, and the passion to make a difference. With Ms. Campschrader’s commitment and vision, the seeds for the organization that would become the Lawrence Humane Society were planted.
The organization had humble beginnings. A small house on Indiana street, staffed by good Samaritans, served as the first shelter facility. Local police brought homeless animals to the makeshift shelter, where volunteers provided care and found new homes for the animals entering the facility’s doors.
On March 26, 1951, the organization — then, the Douglas County Humane Society, Inc. — was chartered, and four acres of land at the shelter’s current location on East 19th Street were purchased. Seven years later, the first shelter building was erected.
Today, the Lawrence Humane Society operates an 18,000-square-foot facility that provides shelter and care to more than 3,800 animals per year and serves Lawrence, Douglas County, and several surrounding communities. We are committed to placing 100% of adoptable animals into new homes, and have robust medical and behavior programs aimed at providing the animals who enter our care with the resources they need to be happy, healthy, and ultimately, find new homes.
Since 2008, we have provided shelter to more than 43,000 animals in need, reunited more than 5,500 lost pets with their families, and found loving forever homes for more than 22,000 pets.
The Lawrence Humane Society nurtures the human-animal bond by providing shelter, care, and advocacy for homeless and abused animals, as well as resources for the pets and people in our community.
Changing the lives of people and animals in our community by providing leadership and resources in animal welfare, health, and education.