Your used car or truck can help save lives!

Donating your old vehicle to the Lawrence Humane Society is convenient and easy, and may qualify you for a tax deduction. And best of all, your donation will make a big difference in supporting our shelter pets.

The Lawrence Humane Society partners with Vehicles for Charity to process donated vehicles. All you need to do is complete a simple online form (or call 1-866-628-2277) and Vehicles for Charity will take care of the rest. They will arrange to have your donation towed and will provide you with a tax-deductible receipt at no charge!


Frequently Asked Questions

What types of vehicles can I donate?
You can donate most vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, and recreational vehicles. Donated vehicles do not have to be in running condition. Your vehicle donation will be sold at an auction or to salvage, depending on condition.

Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes! The Lawrence Humane Society is a non-profit organization, and all donations qualify as a charitable deduction on your federal income tax return.

What do I need to be able to donate my vehicle?
To donate your vehicle, the title to your car must be in your name. Vehicles for Charity will also need information about where your car is located and the condition of your car to assist in scheduling appropriate towing arrangements.

Will you pick up my car?
A towing company organized through Vehicles for Charity will call you to schedule the pick-up of your vehicle. At the time of pick-up, you will need to provide the driver with keys to the vehicle and your signed title.

How is the value of my car determined?
The IRS allows you to take a charitable tax deduction on your federal income tax form equal to the amount the vehicle sells for at auction, unless it sells for less than $500. If your vehicle sells for less than $500, you may deduct no more than $500. If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you will need to include the IRS form 1098C with your tax returns.

Vehicles for charity will supply this documentation after your vehicle sells. We recommend you consult your tax advisor with questions about your deduction.